Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Scholarship VS Humility

   It was way back in 1990. I wanted to take an Interview with a renowned Jnanapeeth Award winner. He bluntly said: I have nothing to speak to you personally. Whatever you have heard of me & known from my Books, you can write, sans controversial statements et al., He was a celebrity who has reached certain heights. I can understand Egotism, he might have, but should not be. I have spoken to many Scholars in the West. They are down to earth people with no airs over them. No auras attached to them. But when I speak to some scholars here, they either say, Sorry I dont have time.. or move away from there. That is what Bhavabhuti says: Jeernamange Subhashitam - Whatever  he wanted to convey got  aborted when he spoke to scholars, common people didn't understand him. What else he could do? Many of our Questions sincere or otherwise remained unanswered by this Attitude of Scholars. 
Today I had a similar experience again. .I was chatting with a Student, (not of mine) on my Face Book. He is a student  of  a Vidyapeetha, a place where scholars are made. He asked me: Do you know me? When I said i am his FB friend, he again asked me who I am after much info given by me. I was perplexed. I said, you are still a student, dont be so rude. He said sorry and so on... It is humility or normal behaviour  which is needed for all at all ages. It fetches people to you. That is what I believe. But why only Language Scholars or some one  in the offing should be so rude I hardly understand. Most of Sanskrit Scholars are very rude & puffed up. Some are very humble, yet they are uncared for. That's the irony of the scholarly circle. 
When you ask them a genuine Question, they say: Do you know Panini's Asthadhyayee or Tarkasamgraha or Siddhanta Koumudee? Then I can speak to you, else no way.

I remember my father's words. All Scholars are not enlightened. They are masters of letters. They cannot deliver anything good to the Society. 
When Saibaba of Shirdi  was asked by a devotee to explain the meaning of Ishavasya Upanishad, he told him, go and watch what  the servant maid of Kaka Deekshit was doing. He was annoyed as Scholar as he had nothing to learn from  a Servant. However, he went there. She was washing clothes. She was offered a new Saree by Deekshit's wife.  She expressed her happiness. Next day, she was happily singing a song with same old clothes and was as happy as she was the previous day !! Tena tyaktena bhunjeethaa: maa krudha: kasyachiddhanam  -  Be happy with whatever God has given you. Do not covet what others have. An illiterate person was practicing the message of a great Upanishad, without her knowledge.
 Literacy, Scholarship & Life are all unconnected things. Only Humility can connect them better. 

No comments: